top of page
  • What won't work in a power outage?
    All modems, routers and phone devices such as desk phones or softphone will not work in the event of a power outage. Your internet connection relies on these devices to have power continuously. If you have a phone line or VoIP system, these services will not work in a power or internet outage.
  • How does this impact emergency 111 services?
    If your internet connection fails due to a power outage or other system outage, this will also mean you cannot use your Phone. As a result, 111 services will be unavailable to you via our systems and services.
  • Alternative ways to contact 111
    If your Phone fails due to a power outage or other outage, you can use a cell phone if you are inside phone coverage to call 111 emergency services. It is always advisable to keep your cell phone with suitable levels of battery power. If you have an Uninterruptible Power Supply unit (UPS), you should consider plugging your (Modem, Router, ATA) into it - ensuring that there is sufficient power for all the devices. You may also have other power supplies available, such as solar backup. If you have a “traditional” analogue landline provided via copper cable via another provider, the line will continue to work in a power cut as long you have a phone connected that does not need a separate power supply.
  • Do you qualify as a Vulnerable Conusmer?
    If you are a “vulnerable” consumer under the definition of the Telecommunications Act 2001 and the “111 Contact Code”, you might be entitled to an alternative means to contact 111 in a power cut at no cost to you, To qualify as a “vulnerable” person you must be at particular risk of requiring 111 services such as: a known applicable medical condition, be exposed to family violence, or have certain disabilities. You will need to show supporting evidence of this in the form from either: (a) a protection order, (b) a letter from a health practitioner, or, (c) documentation of impairment. You can also use a completed Electricity Authority ‘Notice of Potential Medically Dependant Consumer (MDC) Status’ form, which includes a certification from a DHB, private hospital or GP. Go to Electricity Authority: Medically dependent and vulnerable customers A nominated person can be: (a) If the health or disability category has been ticked in the form, then a health practitioner (such as a GP) could be a nominated person, or (b) If the safety category has been ticked, then a police officer, a currently registered social worker, a lawyer (with a current practising certificate), or a family court judge could be a nominated person You will not qualify if you: (a) have access to a mobile phone and are able to make calls to 111 emergency services, (b) your services are already protected by a backup generator or battery, or (c) your landline is provided by copper, as this technology does not rely on power at the premise and will continue to work in a power failure.
  • What is the application process?
    Contact us at or call us on 0508 483 520, we will organise for an application for to be sent out to you. The application form must be completed in full and sent to us at 8a Triton Drive, Rosedale, Auckland, 0632 , New Zealand. You can also send us the completed form by email to: - when sending your completed form, please ensure that all supporting documentation is included (please do not provide original documents, copies will suffice). We are unable to assess an incomplete form. Once we receive a valid application form, we will inform you of our response within 10 business days. If your application is accepted, we will provide you with an alternative means to contact 111. What happens to your information? The information provided in the application will be used for the sole purpose of assessing your application. As part of the 111 Contact Code, iTelco is required to store the application information as it pertains to your case. The Commerce Commission may request the application information. Accordingly, iTelco Limited must securely store the application information for five or more years, even after you stop being a customer, your application is declined, or the person stopped being a vulnerable consumer. Support documentation will be destroyed once it has been reviewed and verified.
  • Need more information?
    If you or a consumer at your premises disagree with our response to your application, or a dispute arises about any rights or obligations under the 111 Contact Code you can contact us at or on 0508 483 526. Failing a resolution with us, you can lay a complaint primarily with an industry dispute resolution scheme or the Commerce Commission.
Cloud Pabx Features
bottom of page